Evening Devotions for Tuesday, March 17


For years, I’ve had little good to say about social media. After today, I’m ready to take back everything bad I’ve ever said—because I’ve experienced much-needed connections with you that wouldn’t have been possible before.
This morning, I participated in two conference calls: the first was with Bishop Kusserow and nearly six dozen rostered leaders from our synod; the second was with the Lutheran Pastors of Armstrong County who usually meet Tuesday mornings in our church.
What a gift those hours were, because I wasn’t worrying or stressing about the situation and all the uncertainties that lie ahead of us. There was just the Holy Spirit, comforting us and calling us forward in faith.
God knows how much we need connection with each other, so that we can experience connection with God.
I’m reminded of the Apostle Paul and his letters that make up much of our New Testament. Many of these letters he wrote while in prison.  You can feel his longing for human connection in his words. I read from Philippians 1:3-8
I thank my God every time I remember you,  4 constantly praying with joy in every one of my prayers for all of you,  5 because of your sharing in the gospel from the first day until now.  6 I am confident of this, that the one who began a good work among you will bring it to completion by the day of Jesus Christ.  7 It is right for me to think this way about all of you, because you hold me in your heart, for all of you share in God's grace with me, both in my imprisonment and in the defense and confirmation of the gospel.  8 For God is my witness, how I long for all of you with the compassion of Christ Jesus.
We are all feeling that longing and that need for connection, now that we are deprived of it. I have never experienced a time when the commandment to love thy neighbor has required me to be absent from them. But that is where we are.
Yet God built this need for connection into you: connection with others, and especially, connection with God. That means that God is going to make a way when there is no way.
With this crisis comes the opportunity to care for the neighbor in ways you never have before. With this crisis comes the opportunity to see how all the pleasures and creature comforts of modern life are hollow and empty, compared to the all-surpassing goodness of trusting God and serving Christ. With this crisis comes the opportunity to live out our faith in ways that meet people in their needs and in their fears, and be living proof that God is in the midst of this crisis.
I invite you to log onto our website, and look for a button that says, “how can I help?” There, you will find a link to a survey where you can make yourself available to serve in whatever ways you can. You don’t need to leave your home to make a difference. You can do that just by picking up the phone.
Please remember that the church cannot weather this season without your financial support. You are encouraged to give online or mail your offerings to the church.
You will also find a link to some wonderful prayer resources that come from the ELCA website.
And finally, I want to thank each of you for your prayers, your kind words, your phone calls, and everything you are doing in Christ’s name. Covid-19 is no match for the power of Jesus Christ, crucified and risen, who is living through you.
Let us pray for all those who work in healthcare:
Merciful God, your healing power is everywhere about us. Strengthen those who work among the sick; give them courage and confidence in all they do. Encourage them when their efforts seem futile or when death prevails. Increase their trust in your power even to overcome death and pain and crying. May they be thankful for every sign of health you give, and humble before the mystery of your healing grace.

Let us pray for ourselves and our world:
Gracious God, we give you thanks for the day, especially for the good we were permitted to give and to receive; the day is now past and we commit it to you. We entrust to you the night; we rest securely, for you are our help, and you neither slumber nor sleep; through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Amen.
Almighty and merciful God: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, bless, preserve, and keep us; this night and forever more.

Comments

Popular Posts