How to Wait for the Lord: Psalm 27 - Eighth Sunday after Pentecost

Last Saturday, Elizabeth and I had dinner in a small pizzeria while in Chambersburg. Not long after we sat down, a tall African American gentleman entered the dining room. He looked to be in his seventies and walked with a cane. With a big smile on his face, he looked out over all the patrons in the restaurant and said, “good evening, how’s everyone doing today?” No one greeted him back, so I said, “we’re great. And how are you?” He said, “I’m blessed by the best. Thank you, Jesus!” He then sat down, soon to be joined by his wife. He continued to greet every customer who entered the restaurant in the same way.

When somebody asks, “how are you doing” and you say something other than “good” or “fine,” it almost comes as a shock. I believe this man genuinely cared, because a man sat down near him, and within minutes, he was talking about his ongoing cancer treatments. Soon, they were talking about how faithful God had been.

To look at that man, I could not have imagined how much he was suffering. Have you ever considered what may be happening in the lives of the people who sit near you in restaurants or bring your food? If someone is rude or unkind, do you assume they’re a jerk, or do you treat them as though they’re hurting?

Suffering is the loneliest road you will ever walk in life. Pain makes it difficult (if not impossible) to live the life you want to live. Fear alters your sense of reality, so that you can’t see the good amid the bad. When you suffer, it will seem as though the entire universe is against you. 

Photo credit: www.churchart.com

 Psalm 27, our first reading for today, is attributed to David, who knew more than his share of suffering. Some of this was the result of his pride and arrogance, particularly when he committed adultery and murder. But much of his suffering was a consequence of his obedience to God. Three times, David is forced into hiding because powerful men “assailed him to devour his flesh.”[1] Armies encamped against him and waged war against him.

How did David endure this? Yes, he was one of the strongest and bravest people in the bible, but he was still as human as you and me.

David’s ordeals forced him to rely on God, because God was all he had. But I will admit that David makes it look easy.

It's always hard to see the faithfulness of God when all you see is opposition. Let’s be frank: how can you see the face of God when your abuser us staring you in the face? How can you see God when you are surrounded by bullies? Or people who profit off your toil and suffering?

To have cancer is to have an army of malignant cells attacking your body’s healthy cells. If you are to survive, you will suffer the treatment as well as the disease.

Jesus warned his disciples that they would face opposition, just like he did, including from people who saw themselves as pious and godly. Contrary to what many say, we don’t face much opposition for being Christian, but you will face opposition for acting on your faith and your refusal to lie, cheat, steal, and tramp on others to get ahead.

Some days, everything that can go wrong does go wrong; everything you touch breaks; nothing you do is ever good enough.

Worse yet, fear can become like an army encamped inside your mind, constantly casting doubt on God’s goodness, your goodness, and other people’s goodness. All you can do is hide yourself away because you feel like everything and everyone is against you.

The words of Psalm 27 are the words of someone who has stared down the devil; who’s looked death square in the eye; who’s had an entire army encamped against him, and ultimately was delivered by the Lord.

What gives Psalm 27 its power is that it was a song God’s people sang through times of hardship and fear. Standing, though we are, in the face of opposition, we are drawn into the greater reality of God’s faithfulness. We remember what God has done in the past and gain confidence in what God will do in the future. But this kind of hope cannot thrive in isolation.

Courage is born out of the love that we have for each other. You can stand firm in faith when you know God’s people are standing with you. The armies of fear are no match to army of love that is the Church.

Years ago, when I was serving my internship congregation, a member shared with me that her three daughters had stopped attending church because “there’s nothing there for me.” That congregation, much like ours, lacked programming for young adults. What it did not lack, much like ours, is caring people.

To be Church demands more than just showing up on Sunday morning. Programming is nice; contemporary worship is nice; air conditioning is nice, but these don’t mean a thing without caring people. Jesus connected to people through their deepest hurts and longings. Jesus founded his church so that hurting and excluded people could be connected to him through their ministry to each other. They worshiped together, they proclaimed the Gospel together, they broke bread together, they sang and prayed together, they celebrated together. They also suffered together and mourned together. And when they were persecuted, they stood together.

Why? Because the power of the opposition is broken the moment you no longer face it alone, and there is no strength that is greater than the strength of Christian love. A church that truly cares and inspires more caring is a church that will thrive, no matter how fierce the opposition.

We’re all waiting for the Lord, regardless of our age or circumstances. That waiting doesn’t have to be an unpleasant thing. If we are steadfast in caring for each other, if we are willing to stand firm against all that opposes God and his purposes, we can sing through our suffering and know that soon, we will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.



[1] See 1 Samuel 19; 2 Samuel 2:8—3:1; 2 Samuel 15—18

 

The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? When evildoers assail me to devour my flesh-- my adversaries and foes-- they shall stumble and fall. Though an army encamp against me, my heart shall not fear; though war rise up against me, yet I will be confident. One thing I asked of the LORD, that will I seek after: to live in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to inquire in his temple. For he will hide me in his shelter in the day of trouble; he will conceal me under the cover of his tent; he will set me high on a rock. Now my head is lifted up above my enemies all around me, and I will offer in his tent sacrifices with shouts of joy; I will sing and make melody to the LORD. Hear, O LORD, when I cry aloud, be gracious to me and answer me! "Come," my heart says, "seek his face!" Your face, LORD, do I seek. Do not hide your face from me. Do not turn your servant away in anger, you who have been my help. Do not cast me off, do not forsake me, O God of my salvation! If my father and mother forsake me, the LORD will take me up. Teach me your way, O LORD, and lead me on a level path because of my enemies. Do not give me up to the will of my adversaries, for false witnesses have risen against me, and they are breathing out violence. I believe that I shall see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living. Wait for the LORD; be strong, and let your heart take courage; wait for the LORD! (NRSV)

Comments

Popular Posts