Do This: Mark 14:22-42 - Maundy Thursday

Any time I’m at a formal dinner where’s there’s a tablecloth, a floral centerpiece, cloth napkins, and multiple forks, one thought always goes through my mind: don’t spill anything. 

One time, I was at a wedding reception in a country club when I reached for the serving dish of salad dressing, only for it to slip out of my fingers and spill all over everything, including me. It was a disaster, and so memorable that my wife and daughter have not allowed me to forget what I did.

Obviously, I should have been more careful, but accidents happen, and we all had a good laugh.

When Jesus sat down to eat his Last Supper with his disciples, he knew that something much more valuable than salad dressing was about to be spilled: and that was his blood. He knew that Judas Iscariot would betray him, that Peter would deny him, and that the others would abandon him to die alone. 

Photo by Debby Hudson on Unsplash


But still, he welcomed Judas Iscariot at his table. He gave him the bread. He gave him the cup. He washed his feet. And Jesus hurt for Judas, more than he hurt for himself. The same could be said of Peter and the rest.

It’s one thing to love someone who loves you back. Anyone can do that. But to love those who don’t love you back is divine. Only God’s Son could wash the feet of his betrayer. Only God’s Son could sacrifice his life for the unrighteous. Only God’s Son could love his murderers and pray for their forgiveness. 

Our duty tonight is to recognize the body and blood of Christ for what it is: Jesus emptying himself of everything and taking upon himself the fullness of sin, suffering, death, and hell, for you. God could give you the entire universe, but still, that would not be as much as what God is giving to you in Christ. 

This is why this day is called Maundy Thursday. The word maundy comes from the same root of the words mandate or command. These are commandments: “Take; this is my body.” “Drink, this is my blood. Do this and remember what I do for you. Do this and receive what I give to you. Take my life-giving body and blood into your own body and live in me. Come to me and never be hungry. Trust in me and you will not thirst.” Nowhere else on earth can you get what Jesus gives you at his table, which is why you are commanded to come to the feast, and why no church or Christian should forget those who are absent. 

Jesus does not give you symbols. The bread and wine are not mere tokens to remember him by. Jesus gives you himself. And the nourishment you receive in this meal is the grace through which you fulfill the new commandment Jesus gives on this night: to love another as he loves you. By this everyone will know you are his disciple. Hearing his Word, then Eating and drinking is how Christ comes alive within you. 

All you need to do tonight is to come. Are you a sinner? Drink the cup of forgiveness. Are you hungry for life in a world full of death? Eat the bread of life. Are you scared for what the future holds? This is the feast of victory. 

Come, just as you are, without one plea, but that his blood was shed for you: the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world. 

Mark 14:22-42 (NRSVue)

While they were eating, he took a loaf of bread, and after blessing it he broke it, gave it to them, and said, “Take; this is my body.” 23 Then he took a cup, and after giving thanks he gave it to them, and all of them drank from it. 24 He said to them, “This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many. 25 Truly I tell you, I will never again drink of the fruit of the vine until that day when I drink it new in the kingdom of God.”

26 When they had sung the hymn, they went out to the Mount of Olives. 27 And Jesus said to them, “You will all fall away, for it is written,

‘I will strike the shepherd,
    and the sheep will be scattered.’

28 “But after I am raised up, I will go before you to Galilee.” 29 Peter said to him, “Even though all fall away, I will not.” 30 Jesus said to him, “Truly I tell you, this day, this very night, before the cock crows twice, you will deny me three times.” 31 But he said vehemently, “Even though I must die with you, I will not deny you.” And all of them said the same.

32 They went to a place called Gethsemane, and he said to his disciples, “Sit here while I pray.” 33 He took with him Peter and James and John and began to be distressed and agitated. 34 And he said to them, “My soul is deeply grieved, even to death; remain here, and keep awake.” 35 And going a little farther, he threw himself on the ground and prayed that, if it were possible, the hour might pass from him. 36 He said, “Abba, Father, for you all things are possible; remove this cup from me, yet not what I want but what you want.” 37 He came and found them sleeping, and he said to Peter, “Simon, are you asleep? Could you not keep awake one hour? 38 Keep awake and pray that you may not come into the time of trial; the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.” 39 And again he went away and prayed, saying the same words. 40 And once more he came and found them sleeping, for their eyes were very heavy, and they did not know what to say to him. 41 He came a third time and said to them, “Are you still sleeping and taking your rest? Enough! The hour has come; the Son of Man is betrayed into the hands of sinners. 42 Get up, let us be going. Look, my betrayer is at hand.”

Comments

Popular Posts