It Takes a Church: Hebrews 12:1-3 - 75th Anniversary Celebration of St. Paul's Lutheran Church in Carmichaels, PA - My Home Church

Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight and the sin that clings so closely, and let us run with perseverance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus the pioneer and perfecter of our faith, who for the sake of the joy that was set before him endured the cross, disregarding its shame, and has taken his seat at the right hand of the throne of God.

Consider him who endured such hostility against himself from sinners, so that you may not grow weary or lose heart.


For those of you who knew my late grandmother, Florence, it may surprise you to learn that she was not always a member of this church. She and my grandfather were Presbyterian. But with her parents both being charter members here, they eventually joined the winning team.


I was in infancy when my grandfather died. But Grandma told me that he experienced a bit of culture shock when he worshiped here for the first time—which is typical for most people who attend any Lutheran church for the first time. 


His culture shock happened at communion. After he received the host, he told Grandma that he’d just eaten paper. Up to this point, he had never drunk a drop of wine in his life. I imagine that when he tasted it, his face turned inside-out, just like the children from my own church when I give them first communion. 


Nevertheless, one of my fondest memories of this church is celebrating communion, kneeling at this rail, in a circle around this table, as we sing Let Us Break Bread Together or One Bread, One Body


The architect designed this worship space perfectly, in my opinion—because you really can feel closeness with Jesus Christ and with your fellow worshipers. And what really makes it special is knowing that our loved ones who once communed at this rail are celebrating the feast with us in the kingdom of God.


The acute emptiness within in this sacred space we shared with the ones we’ve loved and lost.


What makes a day like today truly special is that we can celebrate all the ways God has blessed us through this church. The greatest blessings in my life, even my life itself, can be traced back to what God has done in the life and ministry of this congregation. 


My maternal great-grandfather, after a hard day’s work in the coal mines, came here and laid the cinder blocks. Later, he and my great-grandmother began a lifelong friendship with my paternal grandparents. It is here where my father was baptized; where my parents spoke their wedding vows; where, for many years, my late grandmother served on the altar guild, played the piano, taught Sunday school, cooked meals, and participated in the sewing circle. Even though I didn’t “officially” grow up in this church, I always felt right at home here. But it’s not the building that made it happen. It’s the people. And on a December night in 2006, it was just below our feet where Pastor Herb Dubler asked me a question that changed my life: “have you ever thought about attending seminary?” My immediate answer was “not really,” but you kept encouraging me. Pastor Jacq Campbell was called to this church, and she prayed with me, she drove me to seminary weekend, and mentored me through entire process. Then, she officiated our wedding, and a week later you gave Elizabeth and I a beautiful wedding reception in the church basement. You baked and bought desserts at the dessert auctions that helped to fund my tuition. Sadly, time does not permit me to name every person to whom I am indebted.


I tell this story because Jesus created his church to transform lives as the Gospel is proclaimed and the sacraments are celebrated. 


What are your fondest memories of St. Paul’s? Why do you love this church? What do you imagine its future to be?


But the world is a very different place than it was in 1947. Back then, Sunday truly was the Sabbath Day. The local congregation was the primary social institution for most of the population. Culture supported the church. Not anymore.


But the chaos of our world, the corrosiveness of our politics, and the deterioration of our values all demonstrate that spiritual hunger in our time is very real. 


When I think back to all that God has done in my life through this church, I want others to be blessed as I have been blessed. I want our young people to be part of a faith family that loves them unconditionally and gives them opportunities to lead and develop their gifts and talents. I want sinners, seekers, and doubters to feel at home. I want no one to go through life’s most difficult days without the prayers and companionship of others. 


As you celebrate this church and all the way God has blessed you through it, I invite you to think of all the blessings in your life that can be traced back to this congregation. Then, I challenge you to think of people in your life who need those same blessings. Think siblings, children, grandchildren, neighbors, friends, coworkers. Realize that you aren’t just inviting them to church; you’re inviting them into a life-transforming journey with Jesus Christ. 


Don’t worry that you don’t have dozens of programs, a rock band, or Billy Graham as your pastor. You have Jesus and his love. You have each other. 


The past generations have taught us well. They’ve loved us, they’ve taught us how to love; they’ve told us the story of Jesus. The best years for St. Paul’s are not behind you, they are in front of you—because the Kingdom of God is in front of you. There is no greater power at work in the world than the love of Jesus. You’ve tasted it; you’ve seen it; you’ve done it. Now it’s your turn to pass it on.

  

Comments

Popular Posts