Close for Comfort: Philippians 1:1-18 - Sixth Sunday of Easter

From Paul and Timothy, servants of Christ Jesus. To all God’s people who belong to Christ Jesus at Philippi and to all your bishops and deacons. I pray that God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ will be kind to you and will bless you with peace! Every time I think of you, I thank my God. And whenever I mention you in my prayers, it makes me happy. This is because you have taken part with me in spreading the good news from the first day you heard about it. God is the one who began this good work in you, and I am certain that he won’t stop before it is complete on the day that Christ Jesus returns. You have a special place in my heart. So it is only natural for me to feel the way I do. All of you have helped in the work God has given me, as I defend the good news and tell about it here in jail. God himself knows how much I want to see you. He knows I care for you in the same way Christ Jesus does. I pray that your love will keep on growing and you will fully know and understand how to make the right choices. Then you will still be pure and innocent when Christ returns. And until that day, Jesus Christ will keep you busy doing good deeds that bring glory and praise to God. My dear friends, I want you to know that what has happened to me has helped to spread the good news. The Roman guards and all the others know I am here in jail because I serve Christ. Now most of the Lord’s followers have become brave and are fearlessly telling the message. Some are preaching about Christ because they are jealous and envious of us. Others are preaching because they want to help. They love Christ and know I am here to defend the good news about him. But the ones who are jealous of us are not sincere. They just want to cause trouble for me while I am in jail. But that doesn’t matter. All that matters is that people are telling about Christ, whether they are sincere or not. This is what makes me glad. (CEV)
 
www.churchart.com

“Like father, like son.” My dad and I share the same name, we do look somewhat alike. 


Ever since my hair began turning gray, I’ve been mistaken for my father. The most recent instance took place at my grandmother’s funeral visitation. A man greeted me by name, and asked if I remembered him, which I did not. He then said, “don’t you remember, class of 1967?” “That was thirteen years before I was born!” I said. 


To be clear, I didn’t take this as an insult. We shared a good laugh in what was a very painful time. Being mistaken for my father is the highest compliment. And it certainly didn’t diminish the fact that this old friend of my dad’s gave of his time in support of my family. 


In a time of grief, it is a tremendous comfort when people show up and show they care, even if you haven’t seen them in decades.


God gives you people to help you get through the impossible.


This was something the Apostle Paul experienced firsthand when he was imprisoned in Rome for proclaiming the Gospel. 


Unlike today’s prisons, the only thing that was provided for the prisoners were the bars and the chains. Food, clothing, blankets, and all the other necessities had to be provided by people you knew on the outside. You needed all the help you could get—because the conditions inside the prisons were indescribably deplorable.


Thankfully, the believers in Philippi were aware of his imprisonment—and they took it personally. They didn’t just offer thoughts and prayers. Their hearts didn’t “go out to them.” They went out to him. They prayer with him. They provided him what he needed to survive. 


The first chapter of Philippians has Paul praising them for their partnership in the gospel—though the word partnership isn’t an adequate word to describe their relationship. They weren’t merely supporters or even co-laborers. They belonged to one another in a bond of mutual concern, dependence, and trust. Their ministry brought joy and hope into Paul’s fiery trial. Everyone who knew Paul’s situation witnessed Jesus’s saving grace, including the palace guards. Believers were emboldened to speak of Christ despite the danger of persecution


The bonds of love between the early believers were so strong that it transcended bloodlines, race, economic status—you name it. The bonds of love even transcended their sufferings, their fears, and everyone who opposed them. In their trials their faith was strengthened. They actually welcomed persecution, knowing that they were participating in the sufferings of Christ.


The lesson to us is that faith cannot exist in isolation. It exists in relationship, because faith is a relationship. Faith isn’t about beliefs. It’s about belonging. God’s love for you is made real in the love you give and receive


As your pastor, there is nothing that brings me greater joy than seeing you caring for others—whether they belong to this church or not. Lovingly, you walk alongside those who are sick and grieving. You help each other with grocery shopping, laundry, and maintaining their homes. Whenever someone is in need, you open your hearts, your hands, your arms, and your wallets. You are living proof that Jesus is a strong presence in this time and place.


That is so important right now, because we live in a time when relational bonds are being stretched to their breaking point. Partisan ideologies are weakening congregations and turning believers against one another. Our lives are so full of activity that it’s rare for a family will share even one meal together per week. Life is less about community than it is about competition. Winning is more important than belonging.


Simultaneously, social media is rapidly changing the ways we live in relationship to each other. On the positive side, it has kept us in touch with people whom we’d otherwise never see, due to geographic distance or the busyness of the day. We have grown as a worshiping community thanks to social media and livestreaming. On the downside, there’s no substitute for being together in-person. When we are together, the temptation is so strong to pull out the devices and get lost in our own little worlds. 


The world has changed so much that we have forgotten what it means be church together. Church has become a consumer product, designed to give you the most exciting and uplifting experience in exchange for your offerings and participation. This is not the way God intended it to be. Church is not a building or an institution. It’s not even a denomination. Church is who you are. 


For the Church, relationships are just as important as the Scriptures. The Bible tells you God is love; but God’s people make it real. Programs, music, and facilities will never be as effective in telling the story of Jesus as people—people just like you.


Relationships are the key to both church growth and personal growth. All relationships begin in the common ground we share with one another. We are all sinners. We all struggle. We all have hopes and dreams.  We are all saved by grace. God’s love for us and the love God gives us for each other are stronger than anything that would otherwise divide us


When someone is hurting, it’s our job to take it personally. Thoughts and prayers are a start, but what hurting people need is you. 


Even though we’re all busy, we don’t allow that busyness to break the bonds of mutual care and concern. We will not put activity and accomplishment ahead of people.


When we disagree, and when we’re frustrated and even angry at what we see happening in the world, we remain steadfast in our commitment to practice genuine love. We will not love our beliefs, our possessions, our privileges, and our rights more than we will love each other.


In joys in sorrows, in harmony and conflict, in trial and triumph, we belong to each other in Jesus Christ. Persevering in our love for each other as Jesus perseveres in love for the world, even the fieriest trials Christ’s glory will be revealed. 

Comments

Popular Posts